I’m hoping that all the swine/H1N1 flu cases that are hitting the schools this week turn out to be the mild versions that the truest sources predict. I hate the scare tactics that have been used to frighten the masses. Lately I’m feeling like people are being whipped into a frenzy of fear and are going to start running wildly through the streets, screaming, “The end is near!”
Here’s my common sense approach to staying well:
1. Wash your hands. Repeat. Repeat.
2. Keep your hands off your face. No mindless eye rubbing, tooth picking, nose scratching [or picking—ewww]. When you touch your face, especially in public places, you are opening a door for someone else’s viruses!
3. Keep your immune system strong. Take your supplements, drink your vitamin C smoothies, eat your veggies, and GET ENOUGH SLEEP. Exercise is also good, but a recent study found that the immune system becomes depressed when you OVERexert yourself.
4. Gargle with salt water twice a day to wash out those germs before they grab hold for a long term stay. Using a neti pot to rinse the sinuses will help, too.
5. Drink, drink, drink! Warm fluids are best.